As the customer, what is your agenda when you meet with an insurance agent? Are you concerned or apprehensive about what will take place during the appointment? Would you like a checklist that you can go over with your agent?
I’m busy. I run about a hundred miles an hour all day and some evenings. When I have all the information presented to me, I tend to make fast decisions – whether it’s deciding which item to select on the restaurant menu or which car to buy in the dealer’s showroom. At the same time, I have no time to waste on someone else’s agenda.
I suspect I need to update my life insurance and review my other long-term plans and financial strategies. I need someone who is going to work with me and help me understand my needs and address them appropriately…fairly representing my best interests.
So, here’s what I want from my agent:
- Don’t try to sell me anything. Explain your recommendations to me, give me all the information I need, and then let me make my own decision.
- Please respect my time. If we agree to an hour, don’t make me have to check my watch after 65 minutes and begin clearing my throat.
- Use our time together to get to know me. Please do not assume anything about me. Find out who I am, what I want and what concerns me.
- Let me get to know you. Tell me a little about yourself, your training, your experience, your background, and your credentials.
- Tell me about your company and its reputation for reliability, service and quality of products.
- Respect my privacy. I suspect that you will ask me to share financial and other personal information with you. Please make sure that it stays between us.
- Educate me. I am not stupid, but I am also not an expert in life insurance or retirement planning. For example, don’t just tell me I need more life insurance. Explain why you believe I do. Then tell me how it will benefit my family and me. Finally, tell me why you believe that a particular policy or strategy you recommend is the best choice for my situation.
- Please don’t tell me what I can afford. That’s my call. I will tell you whether or not something you recommend is affordable. Then I’ll trust you to find something that fits my budget. Fair enough?
- If we do business together, I expect to hear from you again. Don’t just take the money and run. I want follow-up service.
- I want a go-to person, someone I can count on for the long term, so I don’t have to shop around for a new agent a year or two from now. That means I need someone I can trust to look after my needs in this area. That way I don’t have to worry about them.
- Do these things, and there is a good chance I’ll be your loyal customer for a long time. Fair enough?
Rating: 5.0/5 (4 votes cast)
|Here’s What I Want From My Agent!|