New York Life’s Summer Finance Internship Program.
Launch your career with us.
The Enterprise Finance Summer Intern Program offers an exciting opportunity for rising seniors who are looking to gain the experience, skills, support, and exposure that they need to help launch their careers. Our summer program combines challenging work experience and the opportunity to work closely with finance professionals. You’ll receive continuous training and development through classes and weekly presentations, exposure to senior management, and social and networking events to help build relationships throughout the company. At the end of the summer, multiple full-time offers are extended.
Development, classes, and presentations.
The summer begins with an array of training classes focusing on enhancing skills in Microsoft Excel, Business Warehouse, SAP training, and introduction to insurance and financial services industry concepts. We provide significant opportunities to improve business and leadership skills that will enable advancement throughout the company and prove valuable during one’s career. The learning continues all summer long in many forms:
- Weekly seminars presented by experienced professionals from Corporate Finance, Insurance, and Investments groups focusing on helping interns to understand the industry, financial functions, and our organization.
- Mentor pairing with a full-time finance employee who will provide guidance and support for the duration of your internship.
- Multiple gatherings with the Senior Finance Leadership Team (SFLT) and Finance Governance Committee. Events include breakfast with New York Life’s Chief Financial Officer, presentations by SFLT members, a one-on-one lunch with a finance executive officer, and lunches with Governance Committee members who are available in an advisory capacity.
- At the end of the summer, interns will give a formal presentation about their experience at New York Life, projects that they were involved in, and special assignments that were completed throughout the summer.
- Development of communication skills through presentation and writing classes.
Interns are placed across the organization in Corporate Finance, the Insurance and Agency Group, and the Investments Group including Mutual Funds and Investment Boutiques. Specific functions could include:
- Accounting Policy
- Budget & Cost
- Expense Management
- Financial Planning & Analysis
- Finance Transformation
- GAAP Accounting
- Investment Accounting
- Private Equity
- Risk Management
- Sales Reporting
- Statutory Accounting
Social events and networking.
Interns are encouraged to join full-time employees in social events ranging from post-work gatherings to multiple team-building sessions. Past events have included welcome breakfasts, ice cream socials, lunch with mentors, finance engagement events, and a farewell dinner with the Senior Financial Leadership Team. Other fun events have included a scavenger hunt around NYC, bowling night in Times Square, group volunteer activity, and trivia night.
Finance interns also participate in Corporate Intern events providing networking opportunities with peers outside of Finance. Past events have included networking breakfasts and dinners, and communication and career planning workshops. You’ll also be placed in small groups advised by a core group mentor who will plan special events for your group.
Interns are scheduled to work from late May through mid-August. Generally 15 interns are placed each summer with a competitive salary, and the option for free housing.
We seek candidates who exhibit the following characteristics:
- Junior or Senior working toward a Bachelor’s degree with an accredited college or university (or in a Graduate program)
- Preferred majors: Finance, Accounting, or Economics
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Strong written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills
- Analytically minded
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Proficient in Excel