Volunteers for Good
What is the essence of our business? Serving others. In 1998, the Company created our corporate volunteer program, Volunteers for Good (VfG), which develops and promotes volunteer opportunities for our workforce to serve the communities where they work and live.
We also have two signature company-wide initiatives: our Month of Service and Season of Giving.
- Month of Service is a month dedicated to mobilizing our workforce to volunteer in their local communities. Projects focus on supporting youth in our two main strategic grantmaking areas--educational enhancement for middle school students and bereaved youth—as well as other philanthropic causes.
- Season of Giving provides our employees and agents the opportunity to help spread goodwill to their local communities by fulfilling the wishes of those less fortunate.
As a complement to our volunteer program, our workforce can earn grants for nonprofit organizations where they are philanthropically engaged. We provide three different grant opportunities which recognize the volunteer work and leadership of our workforce: Individual Volunteer Grants, Team Grants, and Community Impact Grants.
- Through the Individual Volunteer Grant program, employees and agents can earn $500 (for 30 hours of volunteer service) or $1,000 (for 60 hours of volunteer service) for an eligible nonprofit where they volunteer their time.
- When a team of five or more New York Life employees and/or agents volunteer at least 40 collective hours for a one-time project, they can earn a Team Grant for that nonprofit. Grants range from $500 to $10,000.
- Agents and field employees who are actively engaged and serve as local “champions” for a nonprofit can apply for a Community Impact Grant. New York Life field employees and agents can click here to review our guidelines and apply for a grant.
Besides volunteering, our people also make philanthropic investments in their communities. The Foundation and our Corporate Responsibility team are happy to support them in the following ways:
- Matching Gifts
To further enhance our commitment to our core focus areas, the Foundation supports many of the philanthropic endeavors of our agents and employees by matching their gifts to accredited schools, children’s bereavement organizations, and the Foundation’s educational grantees and their local affiliates, up to $5,000 per eligible person per calendar year.
- Disaster relief grants
New York Life has been there for local communities since the company was founded in 1845. When disasters strike, New York Life and our people are there to help. Besides making grants to local communities where our customers and workforce are affected, we also match our workforce’s donations to designated aid organizations in the worst of times.
- Giving Campaign
This annual three-week period of encouraging charity is a long-standing New York Life tradition. The Foundation facilitates employees’ and agents’ charitable giving to most US-based nonprofit organizations by offering payroll and ledger deduction services and sending their donations directly to the charities of their choice, and matches gifts to charities whose missions fall into our focus areas. Since 1983, thousands of New York Life people have given millions of dollars to the charities of their choice through this program.
- New York Life Family Scholarships for employees’ and agents’ children
The Foundation encourages education for all families, including our own. We offer two different scholarships for the college-bound children of our eligible workforce: The National Merit Scholarship (awarded based on PSAT scores) and the Scholarship America prize (awarded on an application basis).